After the holidays, we are all feeling a little bit of a need to detox. But did you know there are ways you can detox everyday, and some don’t have anything to do with food? Here are 5 ways that you can detox everyday:
1) Start your morning with warm lemon water (and plenty throughout the day) Drinking a glass of warm lemon water in the morning wakes up your digestive system and the enzymes make it to your liver. Lemons also encourage the liver to produce bile, which helps keep food and toxins through the stomach and GI tract. Try to have a glass of warm lemon water (best to use a straw to protect your teeth) in the morning, at least 20 minutes before you eat.
2) Stretch it out Stretching improves blood circulation, which promotes cell growth and organ function. This is needed in the detoxification process. Stretching wakes up your body and even aids in your digestion. Take one minute to stretch it all out in the morning when you hop out of bed.
3) Teas Herbal teas like milkthistle, dandelion and burdock root are great support for your liver’s detoxification processes. You can find these at your grocery store, health food stores (or Bulk Barn if you are in Canada).
4) Break a sweat Breaking a sweat releases toxins from your body as well as helps fight against bacteria and viruses. Breaking a sweat doesn’t have to mean just pumping iron in the gym. Going for a brisk 20 minute walk that gets your heart rate up, or having a hot bath (you can add some Epsom salts and/or lavender oil) or a sauna are all different ways you can break a sweat daily.
5) Make sure the colon is supported and clean When toxins remain in the colon, they are sent back to the liver. The liver then sends them right back down to the colon in your bile. To help permanently eliminate these toxins and get them out of the body, add extra fiber, fermented foods, probiotics, and water of course. So there you have it. There are 5 ways that you can detox everyday!
Interested in learning more about how you can incorporate wellness everyday? Download our free 2020 Wellness Calendar to get a bite of healthy living each day at work.